The Department of Development Sociology works together with the Cornell Graduate School to process applications. Required documents must be submitted online via the Graduate School online application and requested test scores must be sent through the testing agency. Indicate whether you are applying to the MS/PhD program or the PhD program. In order for you to be accepted directly into the PhD program, your master's thesis must be deemed equivalent to what we require of our master's students prior to entry into our PhD track. If it is not, the admissions committee will still consider you for entry to our MS/PhD program. If you are currently enrolled in a master's program but have not yet completed a master's thesis and would still like to be admitted directly to the PhD program, you should apply to the MS/PhD program; if you are admitted, faculty will review your thesis and determine whether you are eligible for a change of status to the PhD program. This determination will be made during your first semester.
December 15; no spring admissions
How to Apply
Submitted by the applicant via the online application
- on-line application form; indicate whether you are applying to the MS/PhD or the Ph/D program
- master's thesis for those applying to the PhD program (email to email@example.com)
- statement of purpose (uploaded PDF)
- transcripts from all universities listed on the application (uploaded PDF)
- transcripts may be official or unofficial: official copies will be requested upon matriculation
- academic CV (uploaded PDF)
- short writing sample (under 10 pages, uploaded PDF)
Submitted by recommenders via the online application
- three letters of recommendation, two of which must be from academic recommenders
Submitted by the testing agency to the Cornell Graduate School upon applicant’s request
- GRE general test scores (use the Cornell code of 2098 and the rural sociology code of 2103).
- TOEFL Exam scores (required of applicants from countries where the native language is not English; see the Cornell Graduate School website for requirements and exceptions.)
Any material that you cannot submit online can be sent directly to our field (i.e. such as sealed transcripts and sealed letters of recommendation that your recommenders opt not to submit via the on-line system). We will not accept emailed recommendation letters. Send to:
Graduate Field Assistant
240D Warren Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Call 607-255-3092 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.